Friday 4 November 2011

A Certain Smile - Francoise Sagan

So I picked this up because I loved Bonjour Tristesse  so much. I thought it was going to have the same refreshing voice, the easy going pace, the well thought out characters of her first novel. It didn’t. It was not good. Dominique was very annoying. Don’t get me wrong, she shares so many great qualities with Cecile like her self absorption, tendency for the dramatic, debatable morality. And yet she is so dull. I just didn’t connect with her at all, I didn’t care if her heart broke, or if she was happy, or ill. I just didn’t care. Something about her made me completely indifferent to her.

So the story is: Girl loves boy, boy introduces her to his uncle, girl falls for said married uncle, uncle and girl have affair. Too bad the girl is as interesting as baked beans.

And as for the uncle: Let me put it out there- he is a creep. There is nothing romantic about him. He is a creep and a boring creep at that!

Over and out!

Next up: Enigma!!! So put your codebreaking hats on!

Enjoyed it: No.

Read again: Absolutely not.

275 days remaining - 19 books down, 1 unfinished,  81 left.

No comments:

Post a Comment