Friday 2 December 2011

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

You know, I can’t say I didn’t expect this to be hard going, I knew it was going to be a tough read. I mean it is called in Cold Blood for a reason. And I did know the story, I knew it was not going to be pretty. I entered Capote’s realm with my eyes open.

HERE BE SPOILERS!!!

For those of you who don’t know what In Cold Blood is about then let me give you the cliff notes version: the book is based on the true events following the multiple murder of the Clutter family in 1959. It gives a background to the family, the last people to see them alive, the suspects and the perpetrators. It follows the events from before the crime till after the execution of the prisoners.

As I said already, I knew the plot so I wasn’t surprised by the events. What is surprising is even though I knew what was coming, I kept hoping it would somehow be avoided. I really did hope Smith and Hickock would change their minds and that somehow everyone would survive. But that most certainly didn’t happen. And following the murders, I was so worried that they wouldn’t get caught! I suppose it goes to show how amazing Capote’ story telling was, it made me feel very involved.

I am not going to lie, it was a tough read. Although beautifully written and non-judgemental, you had to take it slowly, you just couldn’t sit  down and read it in one afternoon, at least I couldn’t. I really enjoyed it but I found it tough.

The pleasant surprise was that even though I thought that as I grew up as a proud member of the X-files generation nothing could horrify me, this did manage to horrify me. That was a bonus!

Next up: The End of the Affair

Enjoyed it: It was beautifully written. Not exactly entertainment though...

Read again: Probably.

247 days remaining - 21 books down, 1 unfinished, 79 left.

No comments:

Post a Comment