Friday 2 December 2011

Much Ado About Nothing - William Shakespeare

I’ve always wanted to read Shakespeare. Don’t get me wrong, I read Macbeth in school and watched quite a few productions, but actually reading a play without somebody setting essays about what the Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow soliloquy means sounds like fun. After being scarred for life from The End of the Affair I figured I’d go for something I knew had a happy ending. Enter Beatrice...

Aaahhh Beatrice, how I love you... She is the perfect combination of sarcasm and cruelty. You just have to give her credit for that. And I know how everyone says Beatrice and Benedick are equally matched but let us make something clear now: they’re not- Beatrice can make Benedick cry any day of the week. And she does it beautifully. I like Benedick as well, I mean, yes he is a chauvinistic pig, but compared to the rest of them he is a vast improvement.

On the other hand: Hero and Claudio. Hate them. Seriously, I want bad things to happen to them! Claudio is a horrible human being who rejoices at the misfortune of others! He is rude, arrogant and ridiculously gullible! And Hero is a doormat. Can’t believe she married the bloke in the end...

My favourite character from the whole play however has to be Dogberry. The person who manages to report like this:

Marry, sir, they have committed false report; moreover, they have spoken untruths; secondarily, they are slanders; sixth and lastly, they have belied a lady; thirdly, they have verified unjust things; and, to conclude, they are lying knaves.

earns my eternal admiration....

Up next: Richard III

Enjoyed it: Very much.

Read Again: Absolutely.

247 days remaining - 23 books down, 1 unfinished, 77 left.

No comments:

Post a Comment